Though some predictions about automation paint a bleak future, others offer a more optimistic outlook, predicting that technological innovations will create millions of jobs.
The types of jobs that will be created and eliminated depend on the industry and the automation, robotization, and digitization they adopt, write Vesselina Ratcheva and Alexander Leopold, the project leads of the report.
The shifting division of labor will also affect job creation and elimination, Today, 71% of total task hours across each industry profiled in the report are performed by humans, compared to 29% performed by machines or algorithms. But by 2021 – 2022, the researchers predict that 58% of task hours will be performed by humans and 42% will be performed by machines and algorithms.
For example, by 2022, more than half of an organization’s data processing and information search tasks—and even some reasoning, decision-making, and administrative tasks—will be performed by machines.
Roles based on technological innovation, like software and applications developers, and roles requiring distinctly “human” traits, like sales professionals, are expected to grow in the coming years. According the report, here are the top 10 emerging jobs for 2021 – 2022
- Data Analysts and Scientists
- AI and Machine Learning Specialists
- General and Operations Managers
- Software and Applications Developers and Analysts
- Sales and Marketing Professionals
- Big Data Specialists
- Digital Transformation Specialists
- New Technology Specialists
- Organizational Development Specialists
- Information Technology Services